When it comes to video games, there are hundreds of options out there. Some people prefer the PC, while others love their mobile devices for gaming purposes.
However, not everyone is a fan of these, and some still prefer to play their games on the TV screen. That’s why we’re going to take a look at the top ten best games consoles of all time.
1. Atari 2600
The Atari 2600 was released in 1977, and it is the console that made video games popular. It’s considered to be the most successful game system of all times, since more than 30 million units were sold during its lifetime.
It had a very simple design with cartridge slots on top, which unfortunately led to piracy issues at some point. However, it’s still one of the best games consoles ever, and its library includes more than 500 different titles.
The console has two joystick ports which means that you can connect up to four joysticks at once. There were many variations released during its lifetime with some color changes and other slight differences, but they’re all exactly the same when it comes to their hardware specifications.
Key Features :
- Library of more than 500 games
- Released in 1977, the year when video games became popular
- Very simple design with cartridges on top
- More than 30 million units sold
Best Game Series:
Pac-Man, Space Invaders, Pitfall, Mario, Sonic the Hedgehog , Mortal Kombat, Doom, Halo, Grand Theft Auto, Minecraft, Resident Evil, Tomb Raider, Legend of Zelda, God Of War, etc…
You can use a joystick. Team Player multi tap which allows up to four players on the same console.
Cost: The Atari 2600 is currently listed on Ebay for around $30-$35.
2. PlayStation 2
The PlayStation was originally released in 1994, and it’s the best-selling game system ever with more than 155 million units sold.
It has a very sleek design and comes with one controller out of the box, but you can get multiplayers for this console if needed.
It also came packed with an online mode that allowed players to play their favourite games with other people from all over the world.
The console is very easy to hack as well, and you can easily install a modchip on it that will allow you to play pretty much any game ever released for it.
The PlayStation has two controller ports which mean that up to four players can play at once, but most of its titles are made for one player only.
- It comes with an installable hard drive so that you can save your progress in case you want to stop playing and continue later on.
- Sleek design with one controller out of the box
- Easy to hack and install a modchip
- Two controller ports that allow up to four players on the same console
Best Game Series:
Grand Theft Auto, Resident Evil , Final Fantasy, Metal Gear Solid , God of War, Tekken, Tomb Raider , Hitman, Silent Hill etc…
PlayStation network which allows you to play with other people all over the world.
Cost: Currently, the PlayStation is listed on Ebay for around $125-$150 since it’s a very sought-after console among gamers who played video games during their childhood days.
3. Nintendo Switch
The Nintendo Switch was released in 2017, and it’s one of the best game consoles out there. It has a very sleek design with shiny buttons on top so that you can easily access all its features.
Nintendo has always been known for its kid-friendly games which is why it’s one of the most popular game consoles among young gamers.
However, there are many titles that adults can enjoy as well, and some of them were even specifically created to attract older players.
The Nintendo Switch has three different modes: TV mode (where you connect your console to your TV screen), tabletop mode (where you can play games on a smaller screen) and handheld mode.
It also has two controller ports so that you can connect up to four controllers at once using either wireless ones or USB cables.
- Sleek design with shiny buttons on top
- Handheld mode which allows you to play games even while travelling for example.
- Two controller ports that allow up to four players at once using either wireless or USB controllers.
Best Game Series:
Super Mario, Legend Of Zelda, Pokemon, Donkey Kong Country, Metroid, Metroid, Pokemon, Resident Evil, Tomb Raider etc…
- You can use a joystick with this console.
- Nintendo Switch Online allows you to play online with your friends or other people from all over the world.
Cost: Currently, the console costs $300-$400, but you can find it for cheaper if there are any special offers available.
4. Home Pong
The Home Pong console is the first one that was ever released by Atari back in 1975, and it’s considered to be their most successful product.
It has a very simple design with two dials on top for controlling the paddles which means that you can easily play against an AI opponent or another player.
The system comes packed with ten pre-installed games which you can play without any problems.
Additionally, you can also create your own games and play them on this console.
Since it’s an older system, the Home Pong doesn’t have a cartridge slot so you have to either buy its original cartridges or burn some custom ROMs if needed.
- Simple design with two dials for controlling the paddles.
- Can be easily hacked and played using custom ROMs.
- Comes packed with ten pre-installed games that you can play without any problems.
Best Game Series:
Pong, the Space race, Gunfight, Street Racer, Outlaw, Speedway, Video Olympics, Tennis etc…
- You can hook up this console to your TV screen using an HDMI cable.
- You also don’t need any cartridges or game discs because you can play with custom ROMs if needed.
- Cost: Currently, this game system costs $100 on Ebay since there are many collectors who want to get their hands on it.
5. Saga Game Gear
The Sega Game Gear is a handheld console that was released in 1990, and it’s the first one to have a backlit colour screen.
Additionally, this system can also play regular cartridges which allows you to download games from other platforms such as your phone if needed.
Even though this console doesn’t come packed with any pre-installed games, it’s easy to find some classics that you can play on this console.
Key Features :
- The backlit colour screen allows the players to enjoy better visuals in darker rooms or during nighttime when there is no light available.
- Can be easily connected using an HDMI cable so you don’t need any cartridges if needed.
Best Game Series :
Sonic, Mortal Kombat, Street of Rage etc…
You can use a joystick with this console.
Cost: Currently, the system costs $80 on Amazon which is very cheap for such an old game console that still works perfectly fine.
6. Xbox 360
The Xbox 360 was released in 2005 to compete with the PlayStation which had recently launched its successor, the Playstation III.
Microsoft took a gamble launching their console so soon after Sony but they were rewarded for it as gamers flocked to buy this powerful new piece of hardware that offered incredible graphics and online play.
The console also gives access to tons of games and the Xbox Live Marketplace which is a great place to buy new content for your console.
The Xbox 360 is still a great games console even today with a large number of games available for it.
- Powerful hardware which offers incredible graphics and online play.
- Great games library with a large number of titles to choose from.
- Xbox Live Marketplace which allows you to purchase new content for your game console.
- Xbox comes with two wireless controllers which have a range of 30 feet.
- It also comes with an HDMI cable which allows you to hook the console up easily to your TV.
Best Game Series:
Halo, Gears Of War, Forza Motorsport, Grand Theft Auto, Mortal Kombat, Call Of Duty etc…
- Xbox 360 allows you to play games online with your friends and people from all around the world.
- You can also purchase a Kinect and use it with your Xbox to experience motion sensing games.
Cost: The console costs $220-$300, but you can get it even cheaper if there are any special offers available.
7. Saga Genesis (mega drive)
Sega Genesis is a 16-bit console released by Sega in 1988. It was the successor to their old SG 1000 series and Master System.
This game had some amazing games like Sonic, Zombies Ate My Neighbors, Golden Axes etc on it with great sound effects but later on Nintendo made better consoles than this one.
It even had a Sega CD (a console attachment) which made the gameplay even better. Moreover, it also had a 32 X attachment which was an additional module to make the gameplay better.
Sega Genesis is one of the best consoles I have ever played on! Best Games: Pitfall, Sonic, Zombies Ate my Neighbors etc…
- Comes with two classic wired control pads.
- Comes with one AC adapter and two RCA cables.
- It also has a cartridge slot that can play both American games as well as Japanese ones.
Best Game Series:
ECCO the Dolphin, Golden Axe, Sonic the Hedgehog, Shinobi III, Zombies Ate My Neighbors, Altered Beast, Toejam and Earl, Shadow Dancer, Ghouls n Ghosts etc…
You can also purchase a Sega CD and 32 X attachment to enhance the gaming experience.
You can also connect the device to Facebook and Ustream so that you can show your gameplay.
Cost: This device costs around $90-$120 on Ebay.
8. Nintendo Game Boy
Another great console was released by Nintendo. This was the first portable game console made ever!
This is surely one of my favorite consoles as it had so many classic games like Super Mario Land , Legend of Zelda, Metroid etc
It also had some other game series that were favourites among kids. Best Games: Donkey Kong, Duck Hunt, Pokemon Red and Blue versions
- Comes with a rechargeable battery pack which can run up to 20 hours on one single charge.
- It had an automatic shut down feature which saved the battery when not in use.
Best Game Series:
Super Mario Land, Legend of Zelda, Metroid, Donkey Kong Country series, Super Smash Bros series, Pokemon Red and Blue, Star Wars Shadows of the Empire, Tetris, Super Mario.
- Nintendo Game Boy allowed you to connect it via a link cable which allowed two players to play the games together.
- It also had an infrared feature that was used for playing multiplayer games against each other.
Cost: Nintendo game boy costs $50-$80 on Ebay, Amazon and other online websites.
9. PlayStation 5
Released in 2000 by Sony, the PlayStation 5 is one of the most powerful game systems ever created.
It has a very high rate for graphic rendering, which makes it perfect for gaming fans who want to have an incredible experience while playing online or offline.
The PlayStation has a huge library of video games, with over one thousand different titles to choose from. It is also compatible with the PlayStation VR headset if you want to have an even more realistic gaming experience.
The controller for this game system looks very similar to modern-day controllers because it comes with grips on each side and analog sticks that are located in the center.
- Comes with one Dualshock controller.
- An analog stick which can be pushed inwards to activate the L button or R button on the controller.
Best Games Series:
Gran Turismo, Crash Bandicoot series, Tekken, Final Fantasy VII, God of War, Uncharted series, Metal Gear Solid, Ratchet and Clank, Resistance series etc.
PlayStation VR headset and/or Dualshock wireless controller.
10. Super Nintendo Entertainment System
When it comes to video game consoles, Nintendo has produced some of the best.
The Super Nintendo Entertainment System was released in 1991 by the company and it is considered to be one of the best game consoles ever created.
This console has two input slots where you can connect your controllers and then enjoy playing different video games on it with friends or family members.
The Super Nintendo is compatible with Sega Genesis cartridges, making this device even more desirable for fans who want to play some classic titles that were available in both systems.
Two controllers included:
- Comes with a manual that includes parental guidelines for video games so you know what your kids are playing at all times.
- It has an automatic shut down feature if it is not used for over 15 minutes in order to save energy.
- Reset the button on the console and reset the buttons for each controller.
Best Games Series:
Super Mario World, The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past, Street Fighter II Turbo, Donkey Kong Country trilogy etc…
Four-Player Adapter (to increase the number of supported players to four so you can enjoy with your friends) S-Video Cable (to get a better image quality when playing on an S-Video compatible television set) Sega Genesis cartridge compatibility.
FAQ: Frequently Asked Questions
Which is the best console for gaming?
These are some of the best gaming consoles for gaming. Playstation 5.
Xbox Series X, Nintendo Switch, Nintendo Switch OLED, PlayStation 4 Pro, Nintendo Switch Lite, SNES Classic Edition Sega Genesis Mini.
Is Xbox better than PS5?
Aside from stock difficulties, the most important thing to know about the PS5 and Xbox Series X is that there isn’t an unequivocal winner that we’d recommend to everyone. This is due to the fact that both consoles are comparable in terms of design, games available, and built-in functions.
Is PlayStation or Xbox better for gaming?
If getting the finest possible crispness for most games is important to you, the PS4 is the way to go. When it comes to the premium editions of both systems, though, Xbox has the upper hand. Many games are available in native 4K on the $499 Xbox One X, which also has the most powerful overall hardware of any system available.
Which is better Xbox or Nintendo?
Xbox games can operate at a higher resolution and frame rate. Because the Nintendo has just 32 GB of internal memory, more games will need to be stored on a Micro SD card. With 1 TB of internal capacity and the ability to attach an SD card, the Xbox has a lot more storage.
What do you think? Do you agree with the list? Are there any other game consoles that should be on this top ten list? Please let us know in your comments below.
How to Delete Profiles on PS4 Game Console
How To Record Gameplay on PC & Game Consoles
Steam Disk Write Error: 100% Working Methods To Fix it
500+ Roblox Usernames: Boys, Girls, Funny
GoG Galaxy 2.0: Game Launcher Ultimate Guide
How to Fix Roblox Error Code 268
Diablo 4 Release Date [Revealed] Check The Details
OptiFine 1.17: Download And Install Mod on Minecraft
How to Make Minecraft Run Faster
Minecraft Not Responding [7 Methods To Fix It]
5 Ways on PS4 Games Remote Play In PC, TV, Phone
How to Get a Mounts in FFXIV: [Final Fantasy XIV]
How To Play With Friends on Minecraft PC