Does your ring camera not detecting motion?
If your Ring Doorbell is not detecting motion (Motion Alerts), there are a lot of reasons why.
From interference to poor placement, there are a lot of things that can cause this problem. In this blog post, we are going to review some of the common issues that can cause it and some of the most common fixes:
What Are Motion Alerts?
Motion alerts are a feature of the Ring Doorbell that can help you keep an eye on what’s happening at your front door.
When motion is detected by the doorbell, it sends an alert to your smartphone or tablet so you can see the action live.
Aside from minor causes like interference and poor placement, your camera may not pick up motion outside your front door because of a problem with these 3 common factors listed below:
- The notifications you have selected
- Ring Doorbell Camera
- Ring App etc
Ensure Your Motion Alerts Are Activated.
Motion alerts are only sent when motion is detected. If your notifications are not activated, your device will not send you any motion alerts.
This can be a problem if you want to ensure that the camera is working properly before you add it to your Ring account.
Another thing you should do is check if your Wi-Fi connection is stable. If it isn’t, the Ring Doorbell Camera will not work properly and you might not be able to view or hear anything from your device.
Change the Motion Frequency to “Frequent.”
There are 3 options for sending signals with the Ring App.
The motion frequency is the amount of time that the camera waits before sending a notification for motion.
If you set it to “Frequent,” your device will send you a notification every time there is any movement in front of it.
This can be very helpful if you want to ensure that your Ring Doorbell Camera is working properly before adding it to your account.
To set it, follow these steps:
- Tap the Ring Doorbell symbol on the Ring app.
- then click the “Smart Alert” icon after selecting “Motion Settings.”
- Your frequency should now read “frequent.”
Interference And Poor Placement
One of the most common reasons for the Ring Doorbell Camera not working is interference.
If you have any other devices that use wireless signals (like a Wi-Fi router), they could interfere with your Ring Doorbell Camera.
To fix this, check your router’s settings and move it away from where the Ring Doorbell Camera has been placed.
Also make sure that there aren’t any other devices close by which may be causing interference—for example, if there are some large metal objects nearby, then you should move them away from your Ring Doorbell Camera too.
Check To See Whether Your Camera Isn’t Blocked By Any glass
If there is glass in front of your Ring Doorbell Camera, then this could prevent it from working properly.
If this is the case, then you should remove the glass and allow for an unobstructed view of what’s happening outside your front door.
This is especially important if you plan on using motion detection to capture footage whenever someone comes within range of your Ring Doorbell Camera.
Increase Motion Zones.
If you’re having trouble getting accurate motion detection with your Ring Doorbell Camera, then there is a way around this problem.
You can increase the size of your motion zones by adjusting the settings on your camera.
Here is how to do it:
- Select your Ring doorbell after opening the Ring app.
- Choose “Select Zones and Ranges” after tapping “Motion Settings.”
- Ascertain that every motion zone is active and that the range is as broad as possible.
- Save your modified settings, then quit the program.
Adjust The Mounting Angle.
If your Ring Doorbell Camera is mounted at an angle, you may not be getting the best view of your drive or walkway.
To correct this problem, simply adjust the angle of your mounting hardware so that it is perpendicular to the ground.
Make Sure The Doorbell Is Online.
After making these adjustments, verify that your Ring Doorbell is online by opening the Ring app. If you are still having issues, contact customer service for help.
You can check your network signal by doing the following:
- Go to the Device Health tab after opening the Ring app.
- Then, click “Signal Strength.”
- Check to see if your gadget is Wi-Fi connected and receiving a good signal.
Make Sure Your Notifications Are On
After checking your network, make sure that you have notifications enabled for your Ring Doorbell.
- You can do this by opening the app and going to Settings > Notifications.
- Then, select which alerts you want to receive.
Deactivate Motion Schedules
If you have motion schedules set up on your Ring Doorbell, make sure to disable them.
- You can do this by going to Settings >
- Motion Schedules > and disabling any active ones.
Check The Settings For Motion Sensitivity.
If you still have problems after disabling motion schedules, check your Ring Doorbell’s motion sensitivity settings.
- You can do this by going to Settings
- Tap the three lines in the top left corner of the Ring app once it is open.
- Then select “Motion Settings” after choosing your video doorbell.
- After choosing “Motion Sensitivity,” move the slider to the desired setting.
Reset Your Ring Doorbell
Sometimes, a good reset can solve all of your problems.
This can be done by unplugging the doorbell for about 30 seconds and then plugging it back in.
You should also make sure that no lights are flashing on the device or in the Ring app when you’re doing this.
- Reinstall the Ring app after erasing it from your phone.
- Your Ring Doorbell’s front light will blink whenever the black button is depressed.
- Press it once more to reset it after the procedure is finished.
- Check if Motion Alerts are now functioning by logging into your Ring app.
Toggle off Do Not Disturb
If your Ring doorbell is set to Do Not Disturb mode, it will not send you any notifications. To turn off Do Not Disturb, follow these steps:
- Go to the Settings tab in your Ring app, then tap Do Not Disturb.
- Toggle the feature off.
Ring App Should Be Updated
If you’ve updated your Ring Doorbell’s firmware, we recommend updating the app as well.
This will ensure that everything is running smoothly on both devices.
Test Your Camera
Ring Doorbells come with a built-in camera that allows you to see who is at your door, even when you’re not home. To test your camera, follow these steps:
- Go to the Settings tab in your Ring app.
- Tap Camera Setup. If you have an outdoor Ring Doorbell, tap Test Camera.
- Tap Start Recording to test your camera’s recording capabilities.
- Then go outside and move around in front of the camera.
If the problem persists, you may need to replace the device.
Reboot Your Phone
If you’re having problems with your Ring Doorbell app, try restarting your phone.
To do this, follow these steps:
- Press and hold the power button on your phone for a few seconds until it vibrates or shows a black screen with an option to power off.
- Tap restart.
Reach out to Ring Support
If you’re still having problems with your Ring Doorbell, contact Ring Support.
Frequently Asked Questions [FAQs]:-
Why doesn’t my Ring doorbell sense?
If a Ring doorbell is properly installed but is unable to detect motion, you may have the sensitivity too low. Choose the video doorbell by tapping the three horizontal lines in the top left corner of the Ring app. Decide on “Motion Settings.” The third selection on the menu is the motion sensitivity slider.
Why is my Ring app unable to locate my camera?
The most frequent reasons for being unable to perform a Live See or view a recorded video includes A weak connection to the internet on your mobile device. a bad network connection between your router & your Ring device.
If you’re having problems with your Ring doorbell, try some of these troubleshooting steps.
If they don’t work, contact Ring Support.